Saturday, October 1, 2011

Billy Mayes here!!!

Here is another shameless plug. I was at AutoZone the other day getting a new battery and brakes for our Sable. While there, I spotted this gem on sale and wondered if it would work as well as advertised:


So I put the kit to work. Here is a "before" shot:


You will notice that the lens is very fogged from oxidation, abrasion, and UV damage. I spent about 15 min. per lens (it is a 4 step process working down from rough abrasion pads to progressively finer pads, finishing with a buffing process) and this is the result (on the other lens):


This whole kit was by hand. If I were to do it over again, I would have considered a kit with a power tool attachment (to get the deep nicks and scratches out). In all, for $8.00, I think that the results are impressive. High-five AutoZone!

2 comments:

The F***ing Fun Family said...

damn nice work. I also enjoy making things shiny and clear. We used to get some fine finishes on stainless with diamond paste.

Unknown said...

At first, I was irritated abut this. I thought, do you really not have anything better to do than this Ben? Then I remembered how much time I have spent trying to rub the stains off some of my stainless steel cookery. Sorry, polish away! Priorities priorities!

Followers